Every year we grow rows & rows of sweet corn in our garden. Dave times things out a little so that we have a couple different varieties and so that they don't all get ripe at once. It's been a really fantastic growing season in our part of Michigan this year and we have had an ABUNDANCE of sweet corn.
I've frozen sweet corn several times already, so my freezer is well stocked for another year. And well, we've eaten corn on the cob til it's coming out our ears (ha!). Our last variety is very sweet and tender, but the ears are very tiny. It's almost like cooking half ears of corn.
So I got on the internet the other day and started looking up recipes that feature corn in them. Paula & Rachel certainly saved the day with some interesting recipes that I've tried. I thought I'd post one here in case you were looking for a yummy summer salad that incorporated some different ingredients. It's kind of like a coleslaw, but better.
Cheesy-Spicy Corn & Corn Chip Salad
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
8 ears corn, cooked, kernels sliced off the cob
2 red or orange bell peppers (I had green in the garden and used those)
2 chopped jalepeno chilies
1/2 c thinly sliced red onion
1/2 c mayo
1/4 c fresh cilantro or parsley (didn't have either one on hand, so I omitted them)
salt & pepper
3 cup of corn chips (Fritos), crushed
Mix cheese, lettuce, corn, bell peppers, jalapenos, onion, mayo and cilantro; season with salt & pepper. Just before serving, top the salad with corn chips. Salad without corn chips will keep two days in fridge.
**note** I made a half batch because I wasn't sure we'd eat it quickly enough. Also, I used the jalapenos like it called for and it was not spicy AT ALL...in fact most people could not guess it had jalapenos in it. I'm sure mine were extremely mild ones.
1 comment:
Yum, I have to try this recipe! Sounds wonderful! Oh, and I did use the SU Top Note die on my layout with the little SU label punch for the little pictures, so you were right!
Post a Comment