Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sometimes Distress is a Good Thing

It's a good thing when you are distressing a layout.....you know what I mean...giving that layout a less 'clean' look.

For example, I was working with My Mind's Eye papers and embellishments and had a bazzill cardstock that matched colorwise, but it was a 'tad' too bright.  I first used an edge distressing tool to rough up the edges of the cardstock (mine happens to be a pink Heidi Swapp tool....costs about a dollar, but there are many companies that carry these).

Then I used a Tim Holtz foam applicator tool to tone down the color a bit using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen color.  I just dabbed my foam pad on the ink pad and then rubbed in half circles onto the paper about 1" into the cardstock from the edge.  To give it a bit more definition at the edge I added a little T.H. Distress Ink in Vintage Photo.  This time I dabbed the foam applicator into the ink and then just touched the very edges of the cardstock.

I learned quite a bit about distressing from my teammates at Frosted Designs, so be sure to check out today's post for other fun ideas.  Create your own layout, card or project and enter it in our weekly challenge.  I can't wait to see what you do!

7 comments:

Barb Craft said...

Ruth... this is beautiful! I love how you altered the shade of your paper to match by using the inks and different techniques! Very clever!
Barb :)

twinkles11 said...

beautiful and love the colors you used... i love TH ink for everything. I am eying a few new colors as i have just walnut stain but it works for everything. great job!

Nathalie said...

Great distressing work! I love the color combo here!

all the days of our life said...

This is beautiful. Great photos.

angie gutshall said...

Great layout Ruth!! Love the colors and design!!

Anonymous said...

Your layout is beautiful! Love that big scalloped circle and, of course, your distressing.

Janine Rachau said...

The distress ink does a beautiful job softening the background and drawing your eye in,...thanks for sharing.